Wednesday, May 21, 2008

These are a Few of My Favorite Things...


So I just graduated from college and... nothing. Commencement speakers and family members alike insisted that graduation would be monumental, that my life would change drastically. Everyone (and they mommas) promised me that a diploma would be a mark of distinction, something that only the best of the best and the brightest of the brightest receive. So why do I feel so...normal. Nothing has changed. In fact graduation and all of its fluff was rather anticlimactic. Actually instead of stepping out into the world with a new perspective- here I lay in my bed like I have for the past four summers wondering why, if global warming is real, is Minnesota so damn cold? So instead of letting my mind (that someone just paid 200,000 dollars to cultivate) go to waste, I have decided to blog. That's right. Every week, day or really whenever I get bored or have something to say, I have decided to write down my random thoughts with the hope that someone listens, reads, reacts, laughs or feels the same way. So because graduation did not change my life (the way that every Hallmark card writer had hoped) I have decided to celebrate other random, ridiculous shit. These are a few of my favorite things... hope you like. 

4 comments:

Sweets said...

Hmm... funny, I feel the same way. I just need to find the next thing I can do to upgrade my life... moisturize my situation.. and preserve my sexy.

Mali from Cali said...

Funny we were even talking about random shit. I know this isn't as fresh as expected, but can someone please talk to me more about M.C. and N.C.? They whose names shall remain abbreviated. Why as a people can't we ever do what's right?

yes mudasucka said...

I got this blog site from your sis and I must say Im mos definitely a proponent of archiving thoughts, be that in blog format, diary or random hodgepodge of written experiences mixed with poetry, songs, or events that inspire. You have a great sense of humor and an interesting perspective. When I get down or frustrated I usually watch this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzUD2Ulam5I

Dont ask me why but I cant get enough of this shit. nicccceeee.

academia- school is an institution established as a source of separation, those who can afford from those who cannot. scholarships are decreasing in allotment, tuition increasing in cost and less and less minorities are getting the opportunity for high education. you go to school but few people guide you one how to set yourself up for success during your collegiate years so that you have a rewarding career awaiting you post commencement. they just say school, like its the end all answer and i wholeheartedly agree with you that after four years and hella debt, it can be mind boggling to try and determine, what now?

Bottom line is you are an attractive young woman with a straight head and a degree from a very prestigious organization. the cards will be dealt in your favor but you must play them well. you have a gift for writing, thats evident, and you enjoy doing it which also is evident. place all your strengths, weaknesses, desires and aspirations in a document much like you do when you blog, for a birds eye view of all the constituents that constitute and create you. it may help you make sense of things and open a path thats worth traveling. i do it every 6 months actually, you'll be amazed at how your ideas grow and progress. do that then list all the resources you have. connections, friends of friends, contacts, professors, etc. mind mapping, place the connections to your aspirations and determine how your social network can help you accomplish/realize your vision/purpose.

i dont profess to be all wise and knowing but one thing i know for sure in my short 25 years is that the laws of physics do govern everything we see feel hear and experience. action, reaction. so many people sit back waiting for something to react to them when they havent acted to instigate that reaction. gotta keep it moving.

as always here to help in any way and congrats on graduation

that african sam adegoke

Ariana said...

SO... I could have told you that about graduation... hence how stupid I felt after I read your paper about American Gangster. Yeah, Graduation is great and all, but you expect something else to happen and it doesn't. However, I must say that your expensive brain does show in how you write. I'm still impressed! N.C & M.C ARE pretty much the dumbest relationship I have seen thus far. I mean.. I think I missed those whole 3 months that they were dating before the big I DO!
BUT.. your blog has succeded.. I am laughing at work all by myself... :)